Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Afraid of squats

So okay okay, it may seem silly but to me it's completely intimidating...doing squats using the "smith machine". I have always wanted to try it because I do squats at home and love (hate) them but I was always so intimidated. Mostly by my fear of failure or looking stupid but today my husband was trying to push me into it because I've been talking about trying it for a while. So I did and to my surprise I did 5 without any weight but none the less I overcame a gym fear. I overcame fearing what people think of me when I'm at the gym. Because at the end of the day I went, I worked hard, and I didn't give up. 

Although I tried out the machine, I must prefer using free weights to do my squat work out but I think overcoming this fear was so much more than obtaining the skill itself. For me it was all about overcoming my criticism of myself. And every drop of sweat, grunt, burn and ache is so worth the growth I feel in my self esteem and health. 

To all my fellow people on a health journey, keep it up! For me it was the squat machine but for you it may be something else. You may look silly trying but it doesn't matter because you're trying! Don't give up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment