Sunday, March 30, 2014

Worry:can't stop vs won't stop

Visited a church today where the sermon was delivered by a guest speaker who is a psychiatrist. Possibly one of the most influential sermons I've heard, for me. 


Worry is something I struggle with partly because I'm a control freak and partly because anxiety runs rampant in my family, along with many different mental illnesses. It's good to know I serve a God who doesn't stop loving me because I worry too much at times. This truly showed me how much I need to work on this issue. And how I need to stop being a temporary believer, I desire a faith so deep that I always turn to what I believe, in every situation. 


Along with this conviction I felt from this message, I felt such joy. The speaker mentioned can't or won't we stop, will we try to at least or just take defeat. He spoke about it being our will power or for some a psych/neuro issue. And I love love love the focus he had on being shameless about mental health or disorders.


Coming from a home, family and gene pool full of anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression, etc. it was comforting to know that there are Christians out there who don't look down on those who cannot choose what is handed down to them, so to speak. However, he talked about ways to approach stress with medication for those who need it, and those who don't. He discussed real, raw issues and it was so hard for me to swallow but so beautiful.


I've been around many people who say they are Christians/believers that have belittled people who struggle with any mental problem. They say "pray harder,  you don't believe enough...". But today, that perception and judgement I had changed. The shame I was feeling about where I come from, what I've overcome and still struggle/fight against turned into being grateful I've overcome. That bitterness melted away and my wound started to heal. All in all, I was VERY blessed, changed and touched by this sermon. It was like God melted parts in my heart today that I never even realized I had let grow cold. Towards myself, my mom, my family,those who have hurt all of us and even God. 



In case you can't tell, I love taking notes and I love psychology. Hence, why I have my BS in it!:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment